Everybody is fed-up about something on HBO’s “Real Time with Bill Maher,” episode 318, which aired on May 16, 2014. I’ll spoon feed you the details in this reap and review of the show.
The interview was with Robert Lustig: a pediatric endocrinologist, author of Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease and a featured expert in the new documentary, Fed-Up. He believes that Americans are killing themselves with poor diet choices. He brings a lot of scary facts to the table.
- The maximum amount of sugar that is safe to eat is 6 to 9 teaspoons a day. The average American is getting 22 teaspoons a day. Sugar went from a condiment to a diet staple.
- Sugar causes the same diseases as alcohol.
- Orange juice is not good for you. The only good part of the orange is the fiber.
- Obesity has gotten so bad that there is an epidemic of obese 6-month old children. Even newborns are obese.
- Obesity itself is not the problem No. one manifestation of the problem. Chronic Metabolic Disease is the problem. TOFI (Thin outside, fat inside) is the problem.
- A calorie is a calorie. No, calories from sugar are worse than other calories.
- It’s about personal responsibility. No, it’s about corporate responsibility. Sugar laden foods are designed to be addictive.
No time to finish it today, check back in a day or two.